Liike- ja lomasesongin ruuhkan ollessa käsillämme Corinthia Hotel Londonin neurotieteilijä in Residence kertoo 10 parasta vinkkiään jetlagin voittamiseksi, joka voi usein pilata minkä tahansa pitkän matkan matkan.
"Lomamatka tekee hyvää aivoille", sanoo kuuluisa neurotieteilijä tohtori Tara Swart. "Se antaa meille mahdollisuuden levätä ja kalibroida uudelleen ja lähteä digitaaliseen detoxiin älypuhelimista, kannettavista tietokoneista ja tableteista.
“However, the effect of long-haul flying on the brain can be extremely disruptive. Research carried out by the University of California, Berkeley shows that acute disruption of circadian rhythms (our biological clock), causes memory and learning problems and long-term changes in brain anatomy, long after travelers have returned to their regular schedule.”
Kolmivaiheisessa lähestymistavassa: ennen matkaa; lennon aikana; ja saapuessaan Tara on luonut 10 parasta vinkkiä jetlagin voittamiseksi:
· Shift your internal rhythms before you fly. Depending on whether you are flying east or west, exposure to additional light in the morning or afternoon a number of days before departure will help the body make the necessary adjustments
· Only use prescribed sleeping tablets for a maximum of two days either side of a trip that involves more than a four-hour time difference.
· Fasting until breakfast time in the new time zone will help ‘un-stick’ and re-anchor the body’s rhythms
· Drink at least 500ml of water for every 15kg of body weight. This will help to limit the particularly dehydrating effects of high altitude.
· Try and do some aerobic exercise once you arrive – this will help wake up the body and boost mental performance
· Expose yourself to as much daylight as possible during the day
· Adjust your sleep routine to the local time zone as quickly as possible by choosing optimal travel times. Allow your eyes to observe the transition from light to dark after arrival. Our internal body clock is controlled by the sleep-inducing hormone melatonin, which is released by the pineal gland into our bloodstream when it gets dark
· Avoid alcohol before bed as it does not induce a natural sleep that allows your body to recover
· Avoid drinking coffee after 2pm to mitigate its impact on the quality of your sleep
· Limit your use of blue light-emitting devices, like smartphones, an hour or so before bed; they trick the pineal gland into thinking it is day time and so inhibit melatonin production.
Tohtori Tara Swart on Corinthia Hotel Londonin neurotieteilijä residenssissä. Yhteistyö on maailman ensimmäinen mille tahansa hotelliryhmälle. Osana vuoden kestävää residenssiä Tara pitää puheita hotellissa ja tutkii ihmisten henkistä kestävyyttä eri liike-elämän sektoreilla, mukaan lukien hotellihenkilöstö, mikä tuottaa aivovoimatutkimuksen, joka julkaistaan tänä kesänä.
Housed within a Victorian building, Corinthia Hotel London features 294 rooms, including 40 suites and 7 penthouses, offering sweeping views across London’s most popular landmarks. Corinthia London provides unrivalled world-class luxury with superb ground floor offerings, including The Northall restaurant, serving the best in British produce throughout the day; modern Italian cuisine at Massimo Restaurant & Bar; and the musically-inspired Bassoon Bar. The new Garden Lounge offers all-day dining options in an al fresco David Collins Studio designed garden landscape, and a comprehensive cigar and spirits menu for late night entertaining. Corinthia London is also home to the flagship ESPA Life at Corinthia, a next-generation spa housed across four floors, together with a hair salon by Daniel Galvin. The hotel boasts the largest room sizes in London, original restored Victorian columns and tall windows that let in swathes of natural light. Cutting-edge technology in rooms and meeting rooms allow for recording, mixing and broadcasting from dedicated media rooms. Corinthia London is a 21st-century grand hotel located in the heart of London, created by experts with a passion for craftsmanship and an understanding of world-class service. Corinthia London is the ninth of Corinthia Hotels’ collection of five-star hotels founded by the Pisani family of Malta.
A neuroscientist, leadership coach, award-winning author and medical doctor, Dr TaraSwart works with leaders of some of the world’s most successful companies to help them achieve mental resilience and peak brain performance. Just as athletes train their bodies to be able to perform at an elite level, so leaders can get a competitive edge by understanding and improving the physical condition of their brains. Dr. Tara Swart helps them do this. She is the only top-tier leadership coach with both a PhD in neuroscience and medical career as a psychiatrist. Her role as senior lecturer at MIT ensures that she remains at the forefront of the latest developments in her sector. It is Tara’s ambition is to use her knowledge and experience in the field of neuroscience and leadership to help as many others as possible better understand and get the best out of their brains. For more information: Twitter: @taraswart or taraswart.com
Neurotiede on systemaattista tutkimusta monimutkaisimmista tunnetuista ihmisrakenteista, aivoista, ja siitä, miten tutkimus voidaan ottaa vastuullisesti organisaation käyttöön.